Stranice

Thursday 6 July 2017

What I Read So Far (Armentrout, Clare, Maas, Stine etc.) May/June 2017

Hello, sorry for the long absence and this time I have a valid excuse. I had exams the whole sixth month and I simply lost motivation to read. I tried to save my Reading Challenge by reading some REALLY short books and I think I managed it but I am still 3 books behind. *le sigh* Here are some books I read in May and June:

1. A Court of Wings and Ruin (A Court of Thorns and Roses #3) by Sarah J. Maas 4/5 ☆
I am aware that this series has its issues but I am simply trash for it and it's mainly because she creates such wonderful characters. My favorites are Cassian, Nesta and Lucien. Besides the obvious problems (like the lack of diversity) I also disliked the fact that this portion of the series did not wrap up properly, for me at least.

2. Lord of Shadows (The Dark Artifices #2) by Cassandra Clare 5/5 ☆
I already know that this is my favorite book of the year. I doubt that there is a book that can top this. It's over 700 pages long and I read in one go. Everything is perfect: the diverse characters, the angst and drama, the plot, the hidden hints, the plot twist. I cannot wait 2 years for the next book. *cries in pillow*





3. The New Girl by R.L. Stine 3/5 ☆
I liked this but it didn't blow me away mainly because the main character, who is a boy, annoyed me.
His obsession with this new girl made him so annoying and stupid, which put him and the people around him in danger. And I can't stand this in books, even though it is used to push the plot forward. Also, there are some things that just did not make sense but that includes spoilers and I am too lazy to rant right now.

4. The Dead End by R.L. Stine 2/5 ☆
I liked this one even less because people died because someone was afraid to do the logically right thing. I understand that these books are horror books but can we add intelligent characters as well. It would be so much scarier if someone rational cannot escape a demon or something.


5. The Hating Game by Sally Thorne 5/5  ☆
First off, this is a chick-lit book and I love to read these during summer time because they are fun and light reading material for the beach. And I think this one is my favorite chick-lit novel that I've ever read. My favorite aspect was the love-hate relationship because it shows that the characters are aware of the flaws of the other person and it also creates tension, which in turn makes you root for the relationship. Also, there is a certain depth to the characters but it's still not too deep to be boring or heavy.

6. Wicked (A Wicked Saga #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout 3/5  ☆
I started this series a while back but finished it yesterday and it's not like it was bad but the thing about Armentrout's books is that, at least for me personally, is that you start noticing the similarities between her books if you have read a lot of them. For example, if someone who has never read any of her books picks up this one as their first one, I am sure they would love it but to me over time
her books loose their appeal.

 7. Disney Manga: Descendants (The Rotten to the Core Trilogy Volume 1) by Jason Muell 2/5☆(NetGalley)
I did not like this at all and my problems with this volume are that artwork was dull and boring. The four main characters are the only one done in detail. Everything else is blury and dull. The plot only picks up in the other half and then you have to buy the second volume. There are also some things that just did not make sense and the fact that they constantly repeat that they are evil but do not act very evil, just did not sit well with me :(


And that's it for my mini-reviews. Leave a comment if you want and have a great reading time.
- M.V.

1 comment:

  1. EEEEP LORD OF PERFECT AND HORRIBLE SHADOWS. *wild flailing and then sobbing* I am STILL not over it and I read it a few weeks ago. <3 <3 omg so perfect and so brutal on my feels.❤️💔
    I'm glad you had quite a few excellent reads recently!! I had a ton of five-stars in June which was aaamazing. Although July is smacking me in the head with super low stars but HEY, it just makes the 5-stars more special.😂
    I hope you have a good July reading!

    ReplyDelete